Thursday, August 13, 2009

In which things have happened and I need a box of tissues.

So, guys, I've been thinking about this summer. I don't know how it's been for everyone else, but I think I can genuinely say I've just spent two of the most amazing months of my life. 

After all, I'll never walk into Barnes&Noble again without thinking about Geeklove...in your pants, or the desperate need Laurel and I had for hot fudge milkshakes. Next time I need to curse creatively, I'll be able to-- a comforting thought, really. 

I now know of the existence of the American Mustache Institute

(Enrich your life. Click the link.)

I've spent a good half an hour lying in bed at Camille's house convinced she was being robbed and that I was going to be killed-- but I had a fantastic time nonetheless. 

I've been to the Grand-- not once, not twice, but three times, and seen three very different movies. I've had popcorn with real butter, and escaped the (supposedly necessary) extra napkins.

I've listened to Camille's "so tired I'm high" musings on bathroom walls and antimacassars. I've even joined in (I contributed, among other things, a woman named Edna).

I've made my own envelopes. I've given away said envelopes. 

I've spent entire days watching vlogbrothers videos, swapping links to various bits of British comedy, and pining for the fjords. 

I've made some cookies that were really more like some sort of peanut brittle, and had Celine Dion played at me as a mechanism of torture. 

I've seen Harry Potter 6. I've marathoned Potter Puppet Pals. I've spent a good hour in my kitchen watching homemade salsa disappear, to wild acclaim. All this, in one spectacular five hour span. 

I've gone for a six a.m. walk in Sumner, even knowing full well that all my thoughts had already been thought-- and my reaction had already been had. I've been ordered to say A Certain Word. I, you know, haven't said it. 

For the first time in my life, I had not just places to be, but Places To Be. This doesn't happen to me. Never before in my eighteen years, have I so consistently had places to be after midnight. That in and of itself is a bit of an accomplishment really. I had people I wanted to see at all hours of the day, and I was lucky enough that those people wanted to see me. 

I've gotten to be friends with people I didn't used to know nearly well enough, and I've gotten even closer to people I didn't think I could get closer to. And I know eventually my life 3,000 miles from here will at least come close to being this lovely. But right now I can't imagine being up at 3:00 a.m. with anyone but, well, you guys. 

I'll miss you all tremendously-- more then you probably understand. I hope you have an amazing September, an amazing October, an amazing November. 

I know your Decembers will be amazing because, you know. I'll be here. :]

4 comments: