Tuesday, July 7, 2009

In which I love quotes, Jean Houston loves laughter, and children love hamsters.

My top ten quotes of the moment, in no particular order. Is it anyone else's life goal to be quotable someday? I think it might be mine. ;]

Emily's Top Ten Quotes

o1. To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains. 
-- Mary Pettibone Poole

Because: Education vs. intelligence is clearly the debate of the summer. ;]

o2. Whatever you may be sure of, be sure of this: that you are dreadfully like other people.
-- James Russell Lowell


o3. You get fifteen Democrats in a room, and you get twenty opinions. 
-- Senator Patrick Leahy

Because: I wouldn't have it any other way. 

o4. Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the former. 
-- Albert Einstein

Because: You tell 'em Al. You tell 'em. 

o5. I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. 
-- Winston Churchill 

Because: It's hilarious. Oh Winston. He clearly had to develop a sense of humor in reaction to his name, if nothing else. 

o6. Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
-- Maya Angelou

Because: There are some things it is useful to remember as I trot off to college, and this is one of them, and because it's always nice to have someone state what I believe so succinctly. 

o7. With those who don't give a damn about baseball, I can only sympathize.  I do not resent them.  I am even willing to concede that many of them are physically clean, good to their mothers and in favor of world peace.  But while the game is on, I can't think of anything to say to them.
-- Art Hill

Because: If I had to make a list of top ten things I love (and maybe I will someday), the Mariners would be on it, whether they're winning or losing. The fact that they're winning lately just makes loving them more fun.

o8. It is better to have loved and lost than never to have lost at all. 
-- Samuel Butler

Because: Among many other reasons, because it's a classic.

o9. There is no reciprocity. Men love women, women love children, and children love hamsters.
-- Alice Thomas Ellis

Because: I may not find it to be entirely true as I live my life, but I will always find it entirely hilarious. 

1o. At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.
-- Jean Houston

Because: Just because. :]

1 comment:

  1. Can I just tell you?
    Since the beginning I have been a huge fan of you and your blog and your friends.
    I first found Colin, then Jenna, then you.
    And all of you, and you especially, are amazing.
    You are so funny and smart.

    Ugh! I envy you at times.

    Okay....sick-admiration-confession-of-an-obsessed-blog-reading-fan over. Sorry about that.

    I will go back to being an unheard reader now...haha.

    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete