Thursday, July 16, 2009

In which it is (still) too hot, UChicago and I weren't mean to be, and I warn of future Attempts At Humor.

I've decided to make up for the fact that my previous post was, in summary: blargh, it's too hot, ahhhhh college, oh, and also, hippos!

That might've made for interesting reading-- who am I to say?-- but you know, truthfully it didn't make for interesting writing, which might be the point of this whole thing in the first place. ;]

"Albert Einstein once said, 'The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.' Propose your own original theory to explain one of the 16 mysteries below. Your theory does not need to be testable or even probable; however, it should provide some laws, principles, and/or causes to explain the facts, phenomena, or existence of one of these mysteries. You can make your theory artistic, scientific, conspiracy-driven, quantum, fanciful, or otherwise ingenious—but be sure it is your own and gives us an impression of how you think about the world.

Love, Non-Dairy Creamer, Sleep and Dreams, Gray, Crop Circles, The Platypus, The Beginning of Everything, Art, Time Travel, Language, The End of Everything, The Roanoke Colony, Numbers, Mona Lisa’s Smile, The College Rankings in U.S. News and World Report, Consciousness."

If I could add to that list, I might suggest that some high school senior, aspiring to attend UChicago (because yes, this is one of their past essay prompts), explain the deep mysteries behind such phenomena as Sunday afternoons, the Beatles, fake wood grain, baseball (related: that particular hope which springs eternal in the hearts of Cubs fans), and Wyoming. 

Oh UChicago. You and I weren't meant to be, but I think there's a reason no one believes me when I say I'm not sad about it-- and the reason is that you're awesome. I'm really not all that sad about it though, and I'm going to proclaim that one more time to the internets, just to see if anyone's listening who'll buy it.  

Anyway, the point of this post was, I may have to do something about this. I'll admit to being weirdly sad when I realized my days of writing college essays were over-- at least it meant I was writing. I got into the terrible habit of not writing unless someone made me, which just is not on. And truthfully, even that's only part of it, to cover up the unseemly truth: I honestly enjoyed writing the damn things.

Anywho, expect to see something from me within the next week or so probing the untold stories of Non-Dairy Creamer, or The Platypus, or probably both. It will probably involve lots of Capitals For Emphasis, and Attempts At Humor. Just to warn you. ;]

1 comment:

  1. Where did you find that prompt?
    Did you actually have to write that?
    That's so funny.

    ReplyDelete