Friday, February 20, 2009

In which I still love Jack Prelutsky's poetry, and do what is basically nothing.

This poem is, quite possibly, the best thing since: ever. I loved this when I was a kid. We had an animated video that was basically a bunch of bananas dancing? And while they danced, they recited this poem. A+++.

Forty Performing Bananas, by Jack Prelutsky

We're forty performing bananas,
in bright yellow slippery skins,
our features are rather appealing,
though we've neither shoulders nor chins,
we cha-cha, fandango, and tango,
we kick and we skip and we hop,
while half of us belt out a ballad,
the rest of us spin like a top.

We're forty performing bananas,
we mambo, we samba, we waltz,
we dangle and swing from the ceiling,
then turn very slick somersaults,
people drive here in bunches to see us,
our splits earn us worldly renown,
we're forty performing bananas,
come see us when you are in town.


Admit it. That poem is so pun-y, you don't even know what to do with yourself (by "pun-y" I mean full of puns, not "an inappropriately hyphenated version of the word 'puny,' meaning small"). I'll accept all properly admiring comments on my taste in poetry starting...NOW.

Things I Have Done Since I Got Home Around 5:15:

1) Basically? Nothing.

1.5) Okay, so I watched a little West Wing. I'm not sure if this counts as a full something, so I'm giving it its own place as #1.5 on my list of "Things I Have Done Since I Got Home Around 5:15." I'm sure it feels very special.

2) More nothing.

4 comments:

  1. 1. write your article

    2. recite that poem at beatnik

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. already working on it.

    2. hahahaha. ohhhhhhh man. as much as I love Jack Prelutsky: NO. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. this poem is *in sing song voice*
    AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! You had the CD-Rom too!?!? For a while I thought it was a hallucination or created memory of mine. I just performed this as a song and dance for my husband and he laughed at me like I was a lunatic. It was great to be able to google "Jack Prelutsky forty performing bananas" and have your blog pop up so I could prove that I am not, in fact, insane. Just silly. In facebook-speak: Like!

    ReplyDelete