Wednesday, January 28, 2009

In which I profess to hate things, offend Celine Dion fans, and have a blister.

Things I Have, At One Point or Another, Professed (in conversation!) to Hate:

1. Celine Dion (I really do; I'll apologize now to any Celine fans reading this, but it's an ingrained hatred, passed on from my mother).

2. Dressing up (okay, so I announced this this morning, while I was dressed up in order to snag some leadership points; does being dressed up make me a leader? if only I'd always known it was that easy).

3. Homework (everybody's said it, but I know a poem about it-- see below).

4. That feeling you get in your stomach when you're halfway down the final drop of Splash Mountain and you'd like it to be over, because the swooping sensation has hit what is, for your wimpy self, optimal scariness, but you open your eyes and you're halfway down the stupid chute.

Things I Have, Over the Course of Typing This Post, Realized That I Love:

1. Parentheses.

2. The concept of a singular form of the word "parentheses" (when would you use it?).

3. The Beatles (who are fantastic, with the added advantage of not being Celine Dion).

4. The fact that Friday is semester and that, come what may, that's it, thank you very much, close the door, lights out, curtain comes down, the end. NO MORE. Until, obviously next semester starts. What's my point? My point is secretly that I love weekends.


This post brought to you by: the blister on my right foot (courtesy of those darn heels, which are comfy, but which I apparently pushed to their limits), the homework I'm avoiding right this very minute, and my every-present Disneyland thoughts.

And now, the promised poetry.

Homework! Oh, Homework! by Jack Prelutsky (the amount I loved this poem, even as a small child, suggests that I simply KNEW WHAT WAS TO COME).

Homework! Oh, Homework!
I hate you! You stink!
I wish I could wash you away in the sink,
if only a bomb
would explode you to bits.
Homework! Oh, homework!
You're giving me fits.

I'd rather take baths
with a man-eating shark,
or wrestle a lion
alone in the dark,
eat spinach and liver,
pet ten porcupines,
than tackle the homework,
my teacher assigns.

Homework! Oh, homework!
you're last on my list,
I simple can't see
why you even exist,
if you just disappeared
it would tickle me pink.
Homework! Oh, homework!
I hate you! You stink!

4 comments: