Thursday, January 29, 2009

In which there is cat pee, Commoner, and things which might be potatoes.

Story time! Hush, quit whining, you know you're secretly super excited.

So, most people who know me probably think I'm destined to be a crazy cat lady just by virtue of the way I talk about my kitten. You have to understand: I chose Mabel, and I love her to pieces, the end, no questions asked, quit looking at me like that she's my cat, okay?

All that being said:

I got up this morning, stumbled out of my door and into the loft area, and very nearly ran into the futon, which had been unfolded into a bed at some point while I slept. There were two figures lying on the futon. I'm a tad slow in the mornings, but eventually my brain was kind enough to label the "mom" and "dad." My parents blinked blearily up at me and I down at them, and then my dad was kind enough to explain to me that the kitten had peed on their bed at some ungodly hour of the night. They had, luckily enough, been awake for it, and managed a swift evacuation.

We've actually been to the vet in the past about Mabel's-- ready? I'm about to toss around some medical terms here, stay on your toes-- "inappropriate urination." Yeah. I'll leave you dwelling on that. That should be fun.

Before I go ("go?" where am I going exactly? you know what, choosing verbs whilst typing a blog is a real pain, people):

The Commoner is coming out tomorrow, but I'm holding a copy of it in my greedy little hands this very minute, and it's incredible. I feel like the more time I spend with the ed board, the less I acknowledge how much work you guys do, just because it becomes "normal." Well whatever. Forget that-- I think you're all wonderfully abnormal, and this issue of the paper is amazing, and the work you put in was nuts, and very impressive. And, of course, how could I forget my fellow lowly reporters (strength in numbers guys, we could definitely pull of a coup-- keep this in mind)? Who should know, should they be reading this, that I think they are also phenomenal.

I'm just saying. :]

And, to wrap up:

If I was going to make a highlight reel of my day, it would be made almost entirely of moments from Early Human (though I think a few conversational tidbits from Bio wouldn't go amiss either). The Random Acts of Kindness (these things have taken on almost mythical proportions at this point, and certainly deserve italics), the scores of people who thought Colin's pears might be potatoes, the announcement that said might-be-potatoes tasted like dirt and, of course, Colin wearing the empathy belly, all added up to a truly impressive fourth period. Someday I'm going to chronicle today's 4th period, and it will be the next Iliad. Or Odyssey. Whichever one was more sweeping and overwhelming. Take your pick.

Alright, I've definitely talked enough for one night, right? And anyway, I'm really, really tired for some reason. I'm half-afraid this whole blog is going to make zero sense. Or, I don't know, less sense then this blog usually does, which is kind of a matter of personal opinion in the first place.

2 comments:

  1. I'm honored that I was able to provide TWO highlights for the day. Although, I wouldn't necessarily claim that the whole empathy belly thing was really planned..

    I can't even believe I gave up my sandwich to some girl that I've never talked to!! In hopes of maybe helping her out with leadership points OR SOMETHING but apparently she just...ate it? She ATE the tuna-smelling sandwich that evidently would have made Funny Girl sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Funny Girl probably left hungry, and the girl you've never talked to (who somehow knew your name!) chowed down on your sandwich! Plus, I still can't get over that girl who said she didn't like pears, and then decided to try YOUR might-be-pears, said she liked them, and, when you said "really?" said that no, they actually KIND OF TASTED LIKE DIRT.

    Pardon my run-on sentence. Early Human inspires that in me.

    ReplyDelete